Find your Next Adventure !
Niseko has become a mecca for overseas travellers coming to experience Japan Powder, in fact it’s so dry and sparkly the locals call it Diamond Dust, it literally blows off the palm of your hand sparkling as the sunlight reflects off the falling crystals, it’s truly magical and with an average of 15 metres of snow every winter there is plenty of magic every season in Niseko.
The resort has 4 ski areas, Annupuri, Village, Hirafu and Hanazono; most of the accommodation is located in either the Hirafu village or the Niseko Village; HIrafu has a wide variety of self-contained, hotel, pension as well as hostel style accommodation, while Niseko village contains hotels such as Niseko Hilton and Greenleaf as well as some self-contained options, the other two areas are now becoming more popular for accommodation as well with Hanazono home to the magnificent Park Hyatt and Annupuri hosting Northern resort Annupuri as well as pensions and self-contained options.
The resorts are linked by ski runs across the top of each mountain and the Niseko United bus network which links the base stations and is part of the United lift pass. The resorts have terrain suitable for all abilities, featuring on and off-piste skiing both within the resort and backcountry which is permitted throughout the 4 resorts and can be accessed through the gates, which can be closed if conditions make it unsuitable or unsafe.
Niseko by far has the best nightlife and selection of restaurants of all the ski resorts in Hokkaido. Hirafu is the best place to stay if après is important for you, while Niseko Village has enough variety to enjoy while being away from the main hustle and bustle of Hirafu and the many foreigners that pack the restaurants and bars each night.
Facilities & Attractions
Tourist attractions and the latest trendy spots.
Let experienced guides lead you to the best kept secret spots out in the back-country or enjoy a guided trip to neighbouring resorts for a change of sc
Beyond skiing and snowboarding, visitors of all ages can experience a host of other exhilarating activities in Niseko such as snowmobile adventures, sn
The Hokkaido Resort Liner has a range of options to travel around Hokkaido to help you get to and from Hokkaido resorts, airports and major cities.
In winter, Lake Toya is recommended for activities that allow you to play snow and a hot spring that warms your cold body. They introduce the infinity
With around 100 restaurants and bars, it’s the best of any ski resort in Japan, Unlike other parts of Hokkaido Niseko has a swinging nightlife scene fo
Niseko United is comprised of four resorts(Niseko HANAZOBI Ski Resort, Niseko Grand Hirafu Ski Resort, Niseko Village Ski Resort, Niseko Annupuri Ski A
As you would expect, Niseko is also known for its onsen which are traditional heated Japanese baths. These make the perfect place to come after a lo
Niseko shopping is reasonably good and Niseko is pretty much the only ski resort in Japan where there is a decent range of ski and snowboard gear. T
Shiribetsu-Dake is just a short drive from the Niseko area making heli skiing in Niseko the perfect highlight to your powder holiday. There are few
Mount Yōtei 1,898 meter is an active stratovolcano located in Shikotsu-Toya National Park, Hokkaidō, Japan. It is also called Yezo Fuji or Ezo Fuji, "E
- Best Time to Visit
- How to Reach Niseko
- Resorts & City Guide
- Pros & Cons
- March - May
- Average Weather: Max 9.2°C | Min 0.4°C
- June - Mid-September
- Weather: Max 22.6° C | Min 14.6° C
- September - November
- Weather: Max 14.5° C | Min 5.7° C
- December - February
- Weather: Max -0.8° C | Min -8.3° C
Access to Niseko for international and domestic travellers is best via New Chitose Airport which is about 3 hours by resort liner from Niseko.
You can access Niseko via train from New Chitose Airport or from Sapporo city via Otaru and then on a local train to Kutchan which is 15 minutes via taxi to Niseko Hirafu, the journey takes approx.2.5 hours.
Travelling to Niseko by car from New Chitose Airport will take approx 2 hours.
The resort liner servicer in Hokkaido or the Chuo bus service from Sapporo runs regularly to and from Niseko and the journey will take approx 3 hours.
By Private Transfer
Private transfers can be arranged from New Chitose Airport for as few as 1 person in a private car or up to 40 people with a bus charter.
- Diamond Dust i.e. dry sparkling Japan powder snow is plentiful in Niseko with over 15 metres falling on average every season
- 4 connected resorts on one pass, you will not get bored here there is plenty of variety of terrain for all ski and snowboard levels
- Large side country and back country areas available through gates in the resort for intermediate and advanced skiers and borders
- There is a wide array of accommodation to suits all types and budgets including 5,4,3 and 2 star Hotels, self-contained apartments, resort houses and hostels
- Ski Schools and Kids Clubs are available with a number of options based on where you are staying, English speaking group and private lessons, Niseko is well suited to English speaking customers and they also offer lessons, in French, Spanish, Mandarin and German
- Variety of activities such as Cat Skiing, day tours and Pamper packages plenty to do in Niseko or Plenty of relaxation options when you just want to be looked after
- Niseko can be busy especially the Hirafu lifts on weekends and peak season over New Years and Chinese new year period
- Niseko is a large international resorts so you won't get that authentic Japanese village experience that you will find in some other resorts in Japan
- Access across all 4 resorts on an average day in winter via lifts can be touch and go as the snow and wind is constant and often the top lifts are closed in these peak snow times
- Niseko is expensive in peak new year, Chinese new year and peak powder periods so it's best to avoid these times if you can
Average snowfall for Niseko
This data was collected in Hirafu Village at 176m
Review and Rating
All Japan Powder Ski Holiday' clients are given the opportunity to review their trip once they return home. These reviews are administered by a third party and as such are unfiltered by Japan Powder.