Find your Next Adventure !
Myoko Kogen is a ski area that is rich in history, founded in the 1930's the area is famous for its inviting and warm hospitality, located in Niigata prefecture the area receives one of the heaviest snow falls in Japan and on average Myoko Kogen receives over 13m of snow annually.
The Myoko Kogen town of Akakura onsen forms the base for the area and is an ideal location to stay while you are in Myoko Kogen, there you will find restaurants and bars and a daily Yamazaki convenience store, it maintains a wonderful Japanese Onsen town feel so you will feel the culture and experience an authentic experience.
Akakura Onsen sits at the base of Mt Myoko and rising above the town are the twin ski resorts of Akakura Onsen and Akakura Kanko Resort, a short bus trip away will give you access to Ikenotaira onsen resort and Myoko Suginohara resort.
There are also some special resorts nearby that cost a little extra to get to but are well worth the visit, Seki Onsen resort being the most favoured by experienced skiers because of its great powder runs and steep slopes.
Facilities & Attractions
Tourist attractions and the latest trendy spots.
Myoko Snowmobile Land is located at Suginohara Ski Resort. It offers a solo riding (aged 16+ yo) or tandem ride with an instructor for younger particip
An introductory or “level-up” event for whom wishes to learn about how to keep safe in the Backcountry. This course covers the operation basics of
Lake Nojiri is a part of the Myoko Togakushi Renzan National Park. The lake lies just across the border of Myoko in Shinanomachi in Nagano Prefecture.
Lotte Arai Ski Resort is situated on Mount Okenashi in the Niigata Prefecture of Honshu, only 21 kilometres North of Myoko Kogen. It's not far away fro
Myoko is home to many hot springs. There area public onsen and onsen that part of a hotel. The onsen in hotels can be used even if you are not a guest
Naena Waterfall is an impressive 55m waterfall. During winter, guided snowshoe tour is available. Along the way, you will see countless animal tracks,
Nagano VIP Transfer is a flexible door to door service that can be booked as a shared service or a private charter for small groups and families. Book
The nightlife in Myoko Kogen may not be particularly sparkling but it has over 25 restaurants and bars available from traditional izakaya (Japanese sty
The world-famous wild monkey park is situated in Yamanouchi Town in Nagano Prefecture. There is a daily shuttle that departs Akakura Onsen. The park
Umigatari Joetsu Aquarium was fully rebuilt and reopened in 2018. It now the best aquarium in Niigata and one of the few places in Japan where you can
- Best Time to Visit
- How to Reach Myoko Kogen
- Resorts & City Guide
- Pros & Cons
- SPRING (March - May)
- Myoko is full of joy after a cold and harsh winter. Beautiful flowers bloom and it is also recommended to enjoy mountain climbing and trekking under the warm spring sunshine.
Ave Weather: Max 15.9°C | Min 5.5°C
- SUMMER (June - September)
- Myoko in summer is full of negative ions. There are many cooler areas than flatlands, making it the perfect place to spend the hot summer. It is crowed with people who enjoy various outdoor sports, nature experiences and trekking.
Ave Weather: Max 28.1° C | Min 19.5° C
- AUTUMN (September - November)
- Myoko city in autumn is covered with autumn leaves like works of art. The scenery is breath taking. A change from the beautiful greenness of green season, the gradation of bright warm colors that seem to burn is a must see.
Ave Weather: Max 20.5° C | Min 11.3° C
- WINTER (December - February)
- In Winter, Myoko has plenty of snow and you can fully enjoy winter sports. Best snow season would be in January and February although great snowfalls can extend anytime between November and May.
Ave Weather: Max 6.8° C | Min -1° C
Late December through to End of February
All weather information is sourced from climate-data.org for more information follow the link
Access via Shinkansen to Joetsu Myoko on the Hokuriku Shinkansen from embarking from Tokyo or Kanazawa in the south and passing through Nagano City, the Shinkansen takes approx. 1 hr 45 mins from Tokyo or 45 mins from Kanazawa. There is a shuttle bus from Joetsu Myoko Station to the resort
Myoko Kogen can be reached via car from Major Cities, however it is a long drive of over 4 hours from Tokyo or Osaka. Cars can be hired from Nagano City, Toyama or Niigata and expressway toll roads make driving convenient from these cities.
Nagano Snow Shuttle operates to Myoko Kogen from Haneda and Narita Airports on a daily basis from December through to March
By Private Transfer
Private or Shared VIP transfers can be arranged from Narita or Haneda Airport along with Private transfers from Nagano or other resorts in Nagano or Niigata
Below are some PDF tourist maps to help you navigate and enjoy your time in Myoko Kogen.
- 13+ Metres of Japan Powder snow falls on Myoko Kogen every winter making it the snowiest ski area in Japan
- Akakura Onsen is the place to stay it's traditional Japanese Village in the snow, there are some great izakaya, international cuisine, bars and convenience store as well as pist office with international ATM
- Great variety of resorts and over 1000 metres of vertical terrain on offer at some of the larger ski areas
- Myoko Snow Sports is a fantastic international Ski School with group and private lessons as well as an excellent kids club program and child care for the littler ones as well
- Good value Ryokans and boutique hotels with a mixture of western and Japanese style rooms
- Akakura Onsen like its names suggests is famous for its wonderful onsen water which offers relieve and nourish your body after a big day on the mountain
- Luxury accommodation is limited to the Akakura Kanko Hotel which is a little isolated from the Akakura Onsen Village
- Limited self -contained accommodation options
- Getting between resorts can take some time with limited bus stop in the village, also bus services are not free with your lift pass like some other resorts such as Niseko and Hakuba
- Some accommodation is dated and tired, but that means it feels more traditional as well
Average snowfall for Myoko Kogen
This data was collected by Akakura Onsen Snow Patrol at 650m
Review and Rating
All Japan Powder Ski Holiday' clients are given the opportunity to review their trip once they return home. These reviews are administered by a third party and as such are unfiltered by Japan Powder.
0 out of 5 based on 0 review