Find your Next Adventure !
Furano is the ideal family ski destination in Hokkaido for those seeking an authentic Japanese experience while discovering some of the best powder Hokkaido has to offer. The resort offers consistent snow conditions and is well suited to on-piste skiing for beginners through to advanced riders as well as offering world-class facilities and services.
Furano Ski resort has two zones the Furano Zone home of the New Prince Hotel which is approx. 10 minutes away by Taxi or bus from Furano station and the Kitanomine zone which rises above Kitanomine village and is situated only 3km from Furano Station and can be reached in 5 minutes by taxi or bus, , the two ski areas are linked on the mountain via ski runs and the link lift and both areas are on the same daily lift pass.
In recent years, gates have been opened in the Furano resort which allows experienced skiers to easily access back country runs and tree ski areas from within the resort, the resort has a Ropeway Cable Car, a Gondola and 8 lifts across the mountain and there are plenty of variety of runs to keep even the most avid skier satisfied.
The town of Furano is known as the belly button of Hokkaido and its fresh produce and cuisine promises to delight, The unique village atmosphere in Furano allows tourists to experience the real japan as well as experiencing a diverse range of eateries; there are many traditional Japanese restaurants but don’t worry if you can’t speak any Japanese, many of the restaurants have menus with pictures and some have English menus, you can also find Western style restaurants and fast food if you or the kids are not feeling as adventurous.
If you are looking for a traditional Japanese resort with some of the best restaurants and food in Japan, then Furano is a great destination for the whole family.
Facilities & Attractions
Tourist attractions and the latest trendy spots.
Dog Sledding is an incredible experience for anyone. In this Furano dog sledding tour, powerful Siberian Huskies will help you have a great time! All t
Located in front of the New Furano Prince Hotel, the Kan Kan Mura is home to a snow dome and a snow cafe, and the longest Snow Tubing course in Japan.
The Furano Ski area is made up two zones, the Kitanomine zone and the Furano. Both areas have a variety of accommodation options and the town of Furano
Local wine has been produced in Furano since 1972. Located on a hill overlooking the town, the Furano Winery (Furano Wine Kōjō) is open to the public a
Varieties of tableware, burner works, small pieces, and accessories made in the glass studio are displayed in the shop complex next-door. You can try b
Ningle terrace is a beautiful collection of boutique cottages, housing speciality arts and crafts along with their creators. The creators sit there in
Furano is a Japanese town of over 20,000 people so there are plenty of restaurants of all styles and to suit all tastes. Furano is described as the
New Furano Prince Hotel has a snow park. You can enjoy riding toboggan, snowmobiling, banana boat and rafting boat.
- Best Time to Visit
- How to Reach Furano
- Resorts & City Guide
- Pros & Cons
- SPRING (March - May)
- In April, the average temperature in Furano is 4° C. It is finally cheerful to feel spring. As the snow melts, flowers begin to bloom little by little in mountains. The river gets more water due to the melting snow, you can enjoy rafting and canoeing activities down the river.
Ave Weather: Max 8.5°C | Min -1.7°C
- SUMMER (June - August)
- It is 30° C in mid summer. Furano and Biei is famous for lavender, lupine, snapdragon and sunflowers are in full bloom.
Ave Weather: Max 23.1° C | Min 14° C
- AUTUMN (September - November)
- The daily average temperature in October is around 10° C and after the middle of the month, it cools down to about 5-1° C . The first snowfall of Mt Tokachidake can be heard in mid or late September.
Ave Weather: Max 12.5° C | Min 3.2° C
- WINTER (December - February)
- Furano is the third lowest average temperature city in Japan. Since it is an extremely cold place, diamond dust you can see. The best snow season is usually from mid December to late February.
Ave Weather: Max -3.8° C | Min -12.9° C
Dec through to End of March
Access to Furano for international travellers is generally via New Chitose Airport which is about 3 hours by resort liner from Furano. There is also a smaller airport in Asahikawa which has daily domestic flights from Japans mainland, Asahikawa airport is approx 2 hours away by bus or car to Furano
You can access Furano via train from the New Chitose Airport or from Sapporo City via Takikawa or Asahikawa, the journey takes approx. 2.5 hours
Travelling to Furano via the freeway from New Chitose Airport will take approx. 3 hours
The resort liner servicer in Hokkaido or the Chuo bus service from Sapporo runs regularly to and from Furano the journey will take 3 – 3.5 hours
By Private Transfer
Private transfers can be arranged from New Chitose airport for a few as 1 person in a private car or up to 40 people with a bus charter
- Kids 12 and Under ski for free at the Furano Resort
- Family Friendly ski area with wide groomed runs and a variety of intermediate, advanced as well as back country access through gates from the resort
- Furano Village shopping, restaurants and bars give you a unique Japanese feel and experience and are minutes away from the ski resort area
- English speaking international ski school and kids club in both the Kitanomine and Furano Zones
- Central location in Hokkaido with access to other resorts in Asahikawa Tomamu and Sahoro
- Wide range of accommodation including Hotels, Lodges and Self-contained apartments
- Cold conditions mean quality snow from early in December through to March with a good balance of snow and blue bird fine days
- Limited Onsens' are available in Furano with only a couple of the bigger hotels that have true onsen experience
- Furano is generally colder than coastal areas of Hokkaido, you can expect days of -15 to -20 when the freeze does come
- Less snow than Niseko, Rusutsu and Kiroro which are on the coast
- No 5-start accommodation although there are plenty of great quality comfortable family friendly options to keep even the most discerning satisfied
Average snowfall for Furano
This data was collected by Furano
Review and Rating
All Japan Powder Ski Holiday' clients are given the opportunity to review their trip once they return home. These reviews are administered by a third party and as such are unfiltered by Japan Powder.