Find your Next Adventure !
Madarao Mountain Resort is located between Nozawa Onsen and Myoko Kogen in northern Nagano Prefecture, although the border to Niigata is right at the front door of the resort and some ski runs cross both prefectures. Mt. Madarao stands 1382m tall and Madarao Mountain resort combines with Tangram Ski Circus on an all mountain pass, the all mountain pass offers a generous 46 ski runs both on and off piste for all levels and 20 ski lifts, the resort has been come known as Madapow by foreigners due to its frequent falls of light Japanese powder snow which can be up to 15 metres a year while a base of 3 to 4 metres in normal at Madarao every winter.
Madarao can be enjoyed by everyone from any skill level. If you are keen to try out different ski resorts, other resorts in Nagano and Niigata can be visited for the day with a paid shuttle.
Back country tours, snow shoe tours, snow rafting and indoor rock climbing are available at Madarao as well as English Ski lessons available as group and private, book before you come to ensure availability as instructors are limited; also why not try unique soba making and Japanese ceramic courses on offer at Madarao Kogen resort visitor centre.
Madarao Kogen Hotel and Tangram Resort offer Onsens, restaurants and bars while Madarao Kogen village offers a variety of restaurants, cafes, izzakayas and bars which is only a small walk from the Madarao Kogen Hotel.
Facilities & Attractions
Tourist attractions and the latest trendy spots.
Natural hot spring water is drawn from 600 meters underground. The sodium-calcium chloride spring is good for muscle aches and tiredness. After a big a
Lake Nojiri is 20 minutes drive away from Madarao Kogen. In winter, visitors can engage in the uniquely Japanese sport of fishing for smelt (wakasag
Madarao Kogen restaurants and bars section is much quieter compared with other ski resort in Nagano prefecture. But there is still a few small restaura
- Best Time to Visit
- How to Reach Madarao Kogen
- Resorts & City Guide
- Pros & Cons
- March - May
WinterMarch is some of the best skiing time of the sason, on the transition to spring there are still powder days mixed in with lovely warm bluebird days and the deepest snowpak. Skiing continue through April into May with plenty of fun to be had in the completely uncrowded spring slush
- Average Weather: Max 15.4°C | Min 4.4°C
- June - August
- Weather: Max 27.5° C | Min 18.8° C
- September - November
- Weather: Max 19.2° C | Min 10° C
- December - February
- Weather: Max 5.6° C | Min 3.2° C
Late December through to end of February
Access for international travellers is best through Narita or Haneda in Tokyo, there is an international airport in Niigata which services some major Asian hubs as well as a smaller airport in Toyama which handles domestic flights from cities in Japan.
Access via Shinkanse to Iiyama station on the Hokuriku Shinkansen embarking from Tokyo or Kanazawa in the south and passing through Nagano City, the Shinkansen takes approx. 1 hr 45 mins from Tokyo or 80 mins from Kanazawa. There is a shuttle bus from Iiyama station (take the Chikumagawa exit) the bus services both Madarao Kogen and Tangram
Madarao Mountain Resort can be reached via car from Major Cities, however it is a long drive of over 4 hours from Tokyo or Osaka. Cars can be hired from Nagano City, Toyama or Niigata and expressway toll roads make driving convenient from these cities.
Nagano Snow Shuttle operates to Madarao Mountain resort stopping at Madarao Kogen Hotel and they also link other resorts in Nagano and Niigata to the hotel several times per day.
By Private Transfer
Private or Shared VIP transfers can be arranged from Narita or Haneda Airport along with Private transfers from Nagano or other resorts in Nagano or Niigata
- 10-15 metres of snow every season with an average snow depth of over 3 metres
- Great Value comfortable ski in ski out accommodation for the whole family is available at all three main hotels
- International Ski School for adults and kids including group and private lessons (Group lessons should be booked in advance)
- Backcountry guides that can show you some of the best tree skiing available in Japan
- A very open resort policy with plenty of ungroomed runs and tree runs including some great natural bowls
- 46 Runs and 20 lifts offering plenty of variety for everyone
- Madaro Kogen Village with its offering of izakayas, cafes, bars and restaurants
- Limited late night apres scene, so if you want to party into the wee hours of the morning you should think about another option like Hakuba or Niseko
- Vertical of 440m is small compare to many nearby resorts in both Nagano and Niigata
- No luxury high end accommodation or self-contained accommodation is not available in the resort
Average snowfall for Madarao Kogen
This data was collected on Madaro Kogen
Review and Rating
All Japan Powder Ski Holiday' clients are given the opportunity to review their trip once they return home. These reviews are administered by a third party and as such are unfiltered by Japan Powder.